iPad Settings to use the PoolDues Member app in Kiosk Mode
Our self-service check-in kiosk app will log attendance data and allow members to self-subtract Pre-Paid Guest Passes or add guests to their unpaid balance.
On this page we will go step-by-step through the settings we recommend for the kiosk. If you haven’t bought a locking case yet, we recommend searching Amazon for “iPad kiosk case,” where you’ll find plenty of options. We prefer this one.
Resetting a Used iPad
First, let’s get the app downloaded to your iPad. Ideally, you’re starting with a brand new iPad that doesn’t have anything else on it. If a member of your club has donated an older iPad for this, have them first wipe out that iPad by going to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings.
That iPad should go back to it’s original factory status at that point (where it greets you with a “Hello” screen).
You want to set this up as a new iPad so skip past any prompts to set up the iPad with an existing iCloud account. When you create a new iCloud account, you could use a club email like board@[your pool name].com or treasurer@[your pool name].com . Make sure it is a real email address you can verify (and recover the password down the road).
If you are not currently at your pool or club when you setup the iPad, just remember you will need to connect the device to the club’s wifi. Otherwise the app cannot connect to the net and check in members!
Enable Kiosk Mode in the app
Most of the information you might be looking for can be found in the Front Desk Module on your Board Member Dashboard. Start there!
- Download Member Reservations app to an iPad. This is a free app, so you shouldn’t need to add any payment info to the App Store before downloading.
- Open the app and search for your pool.
- The next screen will ask for an email and PIN. Use the Kiosk email and Kiosk PIN, which you can find in the Front Desk Module in the Board Member Dashboard on your website.
- Go back to the app and enter your email and PIN.
Miscellaneous Settings for Kiosk Mode
Before we make sure members can’t leave the Member Check-In app, toggle a few more recommended settings for kiosk mode…
- Settings > Notifications > Touch ID & Passcode > Turn Passcode Off . If the iPad restarts (because it ran out of power), you’ll want the lifeguards to be able to restart the iPad and get right back into the app.
- Settings > Notifications > Show Previews > Never.
- Settings > Safari > Auto-Fill > Toggle off for everything.
- Settings > Display & Brightness > Auto-Lock > Never. You do not want the iPad going to sleep.
- Settings > Display & Brightness > Brightness > Set to Maximum. As it will be poolside in the sun, you’ll want the brightness up as high as possible.
- Settings > iTunes & App Stores > Updates > Toggle On. This should be on by default, but make sure that Updates is on so the Member Check-In app is always updated.
iPad Settings to Make Sure Members Don’t Leave the app
Here is the most important step, setting up Guided Access. This prevents members (let’s face it…kids) from monkeying around with the iPad.
- Settings > General > Accessibility > Guided Access (at the very bottom). Toggle On.
- Set a Passcode.
- Exit Settings and open Member Check-In
- Now triple-click the iPad’s home button. Guided Access will now be on for this app. This just means the app can’t be closed without triple-clicking the home button again and then entering the passcode.